Monday, July 13, 2009

July 4, 2009 The Fireworks Will be on the Hudson!


This year's Independence Day Celebration was on the Hudson River - and I decided I would finally go again and see what I could see. And, of course, so did thousands of others as well.

We had gone to 11th Avenue and 52nd Street because, well, I thought we could see something from the bleachers in the ball field there - but, no! No way in! Police usher us up or down 11th Avenue - and most of the crowd was going up. It was about 8 o'clock. So - we walked!

People were carrying beach chairs, and some had already sat themselves down on the sidewalk with their grills and coolers! But not for us! We kept on our way - uptown. Maybe to 72nd Street?

But, boy! It was slow going!

But we finally compromised, and walked down W. 64th Street toward Trump City, and decided to stay on the slight rise that was the curbside - and wait.

The elevated section in the distance is the West Side Highway down from the Riverside Park to West Street - and many are standing there; I guess they were the lucky ones! I should have thought of that.


So, we waited and wondered when the show would finally begin.....



Everyone milled around very politely - and left us with a view - and that was good!

I did get some video of the fireworks - but, alas, it was too much to up-load! I have to edit it, and then I'll give you a little.

Suffice it to say, that day the island tilted toward the west!

No comments:

Post a Comment