Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's Time to Take a Walk ...


I am the one here to tall you about walking, and why it's important to go out there among the people of the city -0 your city, any city or town - and walk miles if you have to so that you can feel the changes in your city.

So, I've been so busy lately (and only some of that business was real work - but we'll talk about that another time) that I haven't just taken a direction and followed it. Today - I did.

I was down at the World Trade Center site, in fact - and don't make a mistake: they're building alright. Seven days a week. No delays now. The Memorial will be ready by next September 11, and One World Trade Center will be topped out in 2013.

I was downtown to see an insurance agent, so I walked down to 45 Broadway - but I went a different route.

Yes, as you all know, we have a lot of tourists in town. And many of them are Asian. Here was one taking a picture of the construction at the Trade Center Site - just before he and his companions returned to their coach:

I'm happy so many are taking part even in that way in our rebuilding - it makes for a more exciting celebration when it's all finished, I'm sure.

And after my appointment I took a walk up to the West Village through Tribeca.

But, and I'm sure you'll recognize this phenomenon: I discovered something so amazing I forgot to take a picture of it! What was that?

Well, I learned where the Mysterious Bookshop went after it left West 56th Street 5 years ago (or was it longer? Even the nice fellow at the register couldn't remember!). It is at 58 Warren Street now. Check it out!

Yes, yes, I bought another book. But - not just any book! No, a special book: the second of the mystery books that (dum de dum dum) Gypsy Rose Lee wrote: "Mother Finds a Body" - in hardcover - with a dustjacket! Such a deal!

And I bet there's a few of you out there who don't know who Gypsy Rose Lee was (shame on you), and even more who don't know how she relates not only to New York City but to the even greater and wider world of letters of the world!
Stay tuned! Your guide will tell all!

No comments:

Post a Comment