Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Walk in Palisades Interstate Park


Good morning everyone!

Yesterday I wrote about the showing of Mark Wiener's art at 1133 and 1155 Sixth Avenue - I hope you all make plans to go and see those two lobbies.  It is a terrific showing of great art.

And, I also want you to know that there is art not far from us - yet, across the river - that may be worth another sort of visit.


Earlier yesterday my friend Philippe and I went for a jaunt across the George Washington Bridge - and up the Palisades about 5 miles in Palisades Interstate Park to explore the nature of nature just across the great North River (as it's still called on some nautical charts).


The views are magnificent

Our walk was in the best weather: not too cool, not too warm, and sunny all the time.  I have never done this whole walk before.  Last time was just to Palisades Avenue, and then down through Englewood Cliffs, Englewood, and ending in Tenafly at the Cafe Angelique - with the bus back to Port Authority just a short walk away.

But this time that was less than half-way along the park's path.  We walked all the way to the Gate to the Greenbrook Sanctuary.  (If I can manage a membership there, well, that should be interesting!  Please check their website.)
Philippe takes a look across the river from the Rockefeller Lookout.
Then we crossed route 9W, and extended our walk into the Lost Brook Preserve, part of the 380 acres of the Tenafly Nature Center, onto the Little Chism Trail and trudged north to Hudson Avenue.  Yes, trudged!  The path was meandering, and although I knew by the map that it would get us where we wanted to go, Philippe's protestations that "we're going East!" were somewhat vexing; after all, this was new to me too!  

But, you see, I grew up in Tenafly and "knew" the place - sort of!  I hadn't gone on that path ever before.  And I still can't make out exactly why it's got that name: the Chisholm Trail was in Kansas where cattle were driven in the 19th century - but this didn't seem to be at all amenable to any sort of cattle!  

So, we got to the gravel section of Hudson Avenue, and making a left turn soon discovered (at least Philippe discovered it, I knew it was there) the Lambeer Mansion, which is a fine example of the French 2nd Empire style popular in the mid 19th Century.  The home was built in the 1860's, and is still a private home.  (Sorry!  No picture here - yet.)

But I am planning on offering you all a walk along these paths - promising much to discover! - in October, so stay tuned! 




Watch this blog - and check my website - for the announcement for this walk! 



No comments:

Post a Comment