Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Mark Wiener Retrospective at 1133 and 1155 Avenue of the Americas

In the lobbies of two buildings on Sixth Avenue (or The Avenue of the Americas, if you insist) is a showing of the work of the late artist, and friend of mine, Mark Wiener (8/24/51 - 9/29/12), who passed away suddenly last year.  Having seen him create many pieces, and having brought people to see him and his wife, Linda, in their studio at 551 W. 21st Street, I feel a real sense of loss when I visited 1155 this evening for the opening of this show.

The lobby seemed a perfect venue for these exclamatory works.

The event was very populated with other artists and admirers, some of whom had come miles to see this.  Linda was the first person I recognized there - 

She was quite active - making sure people were welcomed, and enjoying their presence at what is more than just a show. 

But I looked at the paintings.  I admired their ability to capture my attention in different ways, each being from a different phase of his life and development.

He had said that the black and white paintings are reflections, in a way, of his impressions as he walked across town to his studio; his face like so many of ours looking down on the street, the sidewalk, the pavement sketched already with random and not-so-random markings, he was moved.  So, he called these works Street Markings. A wonderful conceit for this oeuvre.  His work leapt up - or, rather, out - at me: 


Often, when I dropped in on him and Linda at their studio I saw him working on one or more of these paintings.  But, he always had time for me, for visitors; he also always had time for all the other artists in the building too.  He is missed.  

I must go back - his paintings will be there and at 1133 through October; I must see and feel them again.

People are talking ....






No comments:

Post a Comment